Are some people born destined for greatness and others for mediocrity? Is great success and achievement determined by genetics and inborn talent? We often think so and the media does not help either in portraying successful people as being larger than life.
But the simple answer is “no.” Greatness can be attained by everyone. We all have the potential to be great. Any man can be great if he makes up his mind to be the best person he can possibly be and to do what he does the best way he can possibly do it.
What is greatness?
Greatness, is the ability to be all that you can possibly be and to bring out the very best in yourself consistently, to such an extent that you make a lasting mark in your own life and in the lives of other people.
You are already great
The potential in every man is such that it cannot be utilised to its full extent without bringing about greatness. So you should not work towards greatness, but rather work towards fulfilling your fullest potential as a human being by being your best at all times.
Have purpose by having a clear vision and mission for your life. Meet the challenges you face head-on and take life on with passion and a quest for excellence. Seek to always grow beyond your present barriers and limits and you will inevitably become great.
The call to greatness – equal effort, different results
It takes no more effort and energy to be great than to be mediocre. It is the application of that effort and energy that matters. You can channel it into more productive pursuits and use of your time or channel it into non-progressive endeavours.
The tricky bit is knowing where to channel your effort and energy for the greatest results. Knowing what to do and when to do it can be hard and very time consuming. It can also be frustrating as most times it is a matter of trial and error.
But you can know what to do and avoid the frustration and time-wasting to a happier, successful and fulfilled you.
Here are some quick tips for you:
- Decide that enough is enough. Be committed to succeeding and moving away from mediocrity. Decide to be great and commit to do whatever it takes to get there.
- Invest in yourself. Give yourself the time and resources you need to progress in life. Buy things that expand your mind. Read. Take time to be alone and think.
- Venture out and explore the possibilities of life. Stretch your mind and grow beyond your current experiences.
- Get help. Invest in the right help to help you succeed. Learn from others who have gone before you. Experience is the best teacher but it need not be your own experience, you can learn from others too.
- Realise that it is all in your hands. It’s what you do daily that will determine whether you are great or mediocre. Decide to do the things that will push you to success and greatness.